Tuesday 19 January 2010

Spud-u-might-like

Tonight is part leftovers, part points and part unrationed. For the leftovers, CJBS is having his cat sick (mentioned yesterday) plus a small tin of baked beans and a baked potato. Meanwhile I'm having baked potato as a main course, with a cheese filling.

But how, I hear you cry. This is the fake cheese sauce I made recently as a Welsh rarebit, adapted: it uses very little cheese (although I have some blue cheese to give it a kick) as it's mostly a roux made with beer. To that I'm going to scrape out the insides of the baked potatoes, mix the pulp into the beer-cheese roux and put the whole lot back into the skins and bake again.

The result should be cheese-filled potatoes of the first rank. If not, I won't be able to rescue it with extra salt, that being this week's unexpected actual shortage of a non-rationed product. Could this be winter related? It certainly didn't go onto Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council's roads and pavements; but then they haven't collected our rubbish yet this year (loss-making) but have been round to get the recycling (profitable). But I digress.

And to digress further, my thumb is no longer bleeding. And whilst it looks disgusting and mutilated without the bandages, it does appear to be healing at a normal rate. In a day or two I'll start putting aloe on it to promote that a bit.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hope the stuffed potato turned out well. And, by the way, I'll never be able to look at hash and not think of cat sick now. A very appropriate description! :)

Jamie said...

Very well, given the poor quality of the potatoes to start with and the microscopic amount of cheese. Good enough to send CJBS off with some to microwave at work tonight, anyway.

Sorry if I ruined hash for you! Either way, I'm not making it again, no matter how much he liked it. It was just all too disgusting in every way!