Thursday 21 January 2010

You do win friends with salad

I really enjoyed my empty calories in last night's hot dog meal (although vegan sausages are transfat and cholesterol free) and the amount of bread I used kept me full.

But then Rational Mama, last seen envying my salad a week ago, managed to squeeze a crispy, fresh and filling salad out of her US rations. My plans for tonight, half-formed, withered immediately. A salad? A salad!

Our random shortages - actually always a feature of the Morrisons monopoly here, just particularly noticeable when I'm under rations - intervened. With no non-rotten potatoes, no carrots, nothing to make anything of it, I've ended up with a cold collation of the past - lettuce, tomato and onion.

But I can get round this. Some limp raw cabbage leftovers dropped into freezing water to revive adds some bite, I've got some (egg-free) mayo and, despite a bizarre shortage of brown bread, two small baguettes. If I can make a spicy dressing, I'll have two footish-long salad subs.

If that doesn't fill me, nothing will. And only slightly anachronistic (baguettes, I believe without evidence, weren't a feature of most peoples' lives) so well within the bounds of the project.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay for salad subs! Hope it was yummy!

angygraham said...

Did people actually eat a spicy sauce with their salads. A salad was only lettuce,cucumber and tomato after all. Why spoil it?

Chris said...

He is eating alone this week as I am on evening shift at work but I must say I am being sent away with yummy sandwiches every evening. It's Spam and ketchup and I love it. A real boyhood treat revisited. I have to say that I have not felt painfully hungry even once in this whole experiment. I am thrilled to be losing weight so easily. Not a traditional dieter so always thought it would be difficult. It's just a matter of eating as much as ever - but things with lower fat or sugar content. This experiment for historical fun reasons is having "the best side effects in the history of experimentation". Thrilled!

Jamie said...

@angygraham: According to Marguerite Patten, the Ministry of Food did try to get people to make dressings as part of the doomed campaign to make salad palatable from Brits. She gives a herby dressing and a garlic dressing as options.

Unknown said...

I'm so old and decrepit that salad makes me think of that primary school (and indeed BBCtv's Playschool) staple mustard and cress. Used to be very popular way of helping make salad taste of something. Bonus was it could be grown indoors so could be used in the winter as well. If you grow it in an empty boiled egg shell, you can draw a nice face on the front too...