Friday 11 December 2009

Making a hash of things

Whilst I wait for CJBS to sample his savoury potato and meat patty things I made yesterday (he'll text from work, where they will be served with baked beans via a microwave), today I have a non-leftovers meal to try.

I'm making hash, a mixture of potato and anything else to hand. In today's case, that's faux bacon, mushroom and carrot because the noble Lords Woolton and Hill want me to see in the dark (and more importantly to use lots of carrots, as they're domestic, cheap to grow and keep well).

If this works, it's a good rationable meal: only the fat at the start and the bacon are rationed, and the fat would be from the - frankly disgusting - pan of old fat kept on the stove for regular recycling.

I've chopped an onion, a handful of mushrooms, a handful of potatoes and a carrot and cut up 3oz of bacon (Redwood faux back bacon here). With a minimum of fat in a heavy-bottomed fan, I fried the bacon and the onions, then chucked in the potato, carrot and mushrooms. Stirred well, then added half a pint of stock (which will have a second life).


Left covered on the stove to simmer for 10 minutes, then drained, keeping the now-bacon enhanced stock for reuse (I'm thinking stew). The remainder is then transferred to the oven with some more fat (butter in this case, the experiment doesn't begin officially until 2 January), where it now sits awaiting gaining crispy bits on the potatoes. Gravy optional (in theory I would have some left over from last night, but in reality it went down the sink).


I'll get back to you on how it worked out.

Edit: It worked perfectly. Lovely meal!

No comments: